Saturday, June 14, 2008

Nationality Face

When our oldest (Adele-26) was little, she taught me a lesson I'd keep forever!
Off she went to Kindergarten (after some pre-school experience) and happily returned home with the words "I have a new friend".
Their name would not give an indication of gender, and she would then say, "and they have a nationality face!"; which to her meant, this person (I still didn't know if they were boy or girl), looked "different" than her.
Her description came from her question the year before; "why does so-and-so look different than me?"; to which I would answer: their family is from a different part of the world. We would go to the atlas or globe and find that spot-in relation to where we lived at the time. I would also explain our ancestry and show her those countries. Now the answer would be, they are a different NATIONALITY.

So now, when I created YYOL, the characters of Hur-Ray© and Kiddazy® have no "nationality" or gender and are designed to be universal yet have their own "identity" as "cheer" leaders.

Adele is now living in northern California, and is a social worker. Guess I should have known that from her youthful "people loving" phrase, "nationality face"!

With all I've done in the past 49+ years; I still say: "Being a mom, is the BEST job I ever had!"

No comments: